Sunday 11 March 2012

Ingo by Helen Dunmore

Released: 2nd May 2006
Publisher: Harper Collins
Age Group: Children's
Genre: Mermaids/Fantasy
Pages: 336
Author's Website: Helen Dunmore
Buy the book here: Amazon

Everything is wet and shining with mist. The rocks hidden, the sea bidden. Everything slippery and dangerous...the sea is pulling me like a magnet.


Swimming, surfing, exploring - Sapphire and her brother Conor enjoy life by the sea in cornwall. But why does Conor start disappearing for hours on end? And who is the mysterious girl talking to him on the rocks? Following Conor down to the cove one day, Sapphire discovers Ingo - an exciting and dangerous world beneath the waves, where all you breath is adventure...


I found myself drawn to the cover of this book on many occasions and stopped to ask myself why. But I couldn't answer my own question - that is until I finally picked up a copy of it from my library and read it. Ingo is the first book in the series telling the tale of Sapphire and her brother Conor. She notices Conor keeps disappearing until one day she follows him and discovers he is talking to a girl, Elvira. Sapphire starts to feel the call of the ocean and meets a boy called Faro. But Faro and Elvira aren't air people, they are mer-people.


This is a lovely charming tale and had me on the edge of  my seat to find out the ending. The book has been written very well and keeps you guessing without giving too much away. It definitely left me wanting more so I will be planning to read the other books in the series. After viewing the authors website I was also drawn to some of her other novels which have intrigued me, so they will also make their way onto my ever expanding TBR pile.


I have awarded this book 3 out of 5 Stars ~ Delightful  

No comments:

Post a Comment