Thursday 1 March 2012

Review #3 Wings By Aprilynne Pike









Released: 30th April 2009
Publisher: Harper Collins
Age Group: Middle Grade/Young Adult
Genre: Faerie/Fantasy
Pages: 360
Other titles in the series: Spells #2, Wild #3, Destined #4 (out 26/04/12)
Buy the book here: Amazon





Laurel has always lived as an ordinary girl - but now something is happening to her. Something Magical. 
In this enchanted tale of magic, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.





As soon as I began to read Wings, I had no fear of the story taking a long time to develop. For me personally, I feel it went too quickly! It went a little like this: (Do not read if you want my ranting to put you off the book!)

Chapter One: We meet our two main characters, Laurel and David. We learn that Laurel has left her old home and moved to a new home and that her father has purchased a book store. Laurel goes to a new school and meets David who volunteers to show her around. In this very short, same chapter, I as a reader felt like they had formed a best-friend like bond within the second day of her going to school, and for me that is as far from reality and how things work at any school, especially with the "Cliques" that are formed in schools nowadays. Kids that have been going to school for years are desperate to try and fit in and yet here is our main character Laurel forming such a strong friendship within two days and hanging out with the rest of David's gang.

Chapter Two: As if that wasn't enough, by the second chapter I felt they were slowly falling in lust with each other. There was a bond there that was stronger than any normal friendship.

I can continue with a lot more ranting but I won't. Aside from the fast paced form of this book. After the first few awkward chapters were out of the way, Aprilynne Pike introduced us to what the story was really about. We meet a few other characters which are easy to bond with. We learn Laurel is more that meets the eye, and we are imagining this magical world that Aprilynne wants us to see.
A love triangle is formed by the end of the book, and after some moments of suspense and intrigue as to what might happen... the book ends leaving you wanting to read more.

As the characters of Laurel, David and Tamani grew I fell more in love with them. I was wondering whilst reading "If I was in her situation, who would I pick?" and I still don't know the answer now. I think if I was made to choose I would pick David, but after book two It could change to Tamani, we will just have to wait and see...

There has been a lot of speculation about this book being turned into a film staring Miley Cyrus. Well this book was published in 2009 and where the year of publication doesn't really matter, I personally don't think they will make it into a film.
That said however, throughout the book I couldn't help but think who I would want to play the role of Laurel. I could easily picture Miley Cyrus being Laurel, and I do like Miley's films. I also could see the part being played by AnnaSophia Robb who starred in Because of Winn Dixie and Bridge to Terabithia. As for the male roles of David and Tamani, I don't have any ideas...at the moment.

I have given this book 3 out of 5. Would have been more, but a bit too fast paced for me at the beginning. By the end of the book it was worth the read, and I would read it again.

I will be reading book two, Spells, during my Magical May Month, so be sure to check back for the review and to see who will be picked...David or Tamani. And be sure to look out for the voting poll during April becuase you can help decide one of the books I'll be reading during Magical May.

Wings is the first book in the faerie series by Aprilynne Pike. The latest book, Destined is due to be released on 26th April 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment