Thursday 8 March 2012

Review #4 Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate Dicamillo

Released: 8th May 2001
Publisher: Walker Book LTD
Age Group: All Ages
Genre: Children's
Pages: 182
Author's Website Including Other Books: http://www.katedicamillo.com/
Buy the book here: Amazon
Awards Recieved:

  • Newbery Honor Award
  • Book Sense of the Year Award
  • New York Time Best Seller



When ten-year-old India Opal Buloni moves to Naomi, Florida with her father, she doesn't know what to expect - least of all, that she'll adopt Winn-Dixie, a dog she names after the supermarket where they meet. Before long, Opal and her father realize - with a little help from Winn-Dixie - that while they've both tasted a bit of melancholy in their lives, they still have a whole lot to be thankful for.


I had seen the film of this when I was younger and hadn't realized it was a book. I bought the book as soon as I had seen it in a bookstore but put it on my shelf knowing one day I would get around to reading it. Here I am now 26 and I've picked it up and finally read it. For this I have to thank myself really for thinking of Movie March (book-film adaptations) for had I not thought of it, it may still be on my shelf now. At 181 pages it was a really quick read for me, and being a children's book the font and margins in the book are quite large. I have the film cover copy of the book and inside there are eight pages of photos from the movie. (On Youtube I will be doing a collective review of both movie and book)

As I had already watched the film a few times I knew which direction the book was headed with the story, and remembered the basic outline of what happened, but it was nice to read the book and then re-watch the film to compare the differences and unlike most book to film adaptations I am pleased to say there weren't many. The book is very charming and is a perfect story to read to children, but can be enjoyed by people of all ages. If you have seen the film before reading the book, the book will help give you a better understanding of what's actually happening and explores each of the characters in a more in-depth way.

I don't have any faults with this book and when I'd finished it put a smile on my face and made me say aww. It really is a lovely book. My award of 3 stars is because I felt it could have gone on for longer and it left me wanting more and that is the only reason. Young or Old? This book is for all of you.







No comments:

Post a Comment